Monday, March 16, 2009

Power of "A Thousand Splendid Suns"

I have read many emotional sad novels but I never felt anything close to what I felt when reading “A Thousand Splendid Suns”. To give you an idea, few times I had to stop reading the book take a breath focus on something else and then go back to reading.


The book is so powerful such that I could not bare the never ending suffering of the two main characters of the book “Mariam” and “Laila”.


Khaled Hosseini, the author is trying to give us an idea, what it is like to be born in Afganisthan (when Islamic extremists rule the country) as a woman and also get caught in a war.


His perfectly matched words, his ability to put human feelings into words kept my heart crying right throughout the book. Characters started living inside me and I was expecting something to smile about each time when I turned to the next page.


It made me think, if it was this difficult for me to read their life experience, how hard it might be for those who actually go through it.

This book made me ashamed of what I had and have in my life when many other “Mariam”s and “Laila”s are there somewhere on earth.


Another powerful aspect of the book is it gives us a tremendous idea about how much pain a woman can bare. How much my mother would have tolerated all these years and how much my girl friend is tolerating since I’m thousands of miles away from her.


Almost everyday here in Paris, I see Muslim women in streets and I think, she could be another “Mariam” or another “Laila”. The world we are living is so unfair and each of us has the responsibility to make it a better place.


“A Thousand Splendid Suns”, I would recommend for everyone as a must read, to open your eyes and see the dark side of this world.