Wednesday, July 29, 2009

BECAUSE I CAN NOT HATE YOU

BECAUSE I CAN NOT HATE YOU

i)
Yet another traffic problem in Gare du Nord, It takes 1 and half hours to come to Chatlet. “What’s wrong with these French, why the hell these idiots can not fix this problem”, I am cursing.

I am pissed and stressed walking fast to line 14 from RER B, walks straight in to a 10 musician orchestra….. Amazing music, forget about going home. I stop and listen for 10 mins. Cools down my temper, calms me down. “Oh , I love how Paris is filled with great musicians all over the place”I say to my self.


ii)
Lunch time, I am hungry. I go to the cafeteria with my friends. There is a new main dish which looks great. I take it. Hmmm, Why am I not surprised, it turns out to be yet another “Looks awesome, taste shit” meal. “How did these French learn to cook with absolutely no taste?” I start cursing again.

I finish the main meal with a great deal of effort and turns to the dessert. A strawberry pudding, cream chocolate on the top ,vanila ice cram on the bottom, fresh strawberries in the middle. “Mmmmm, yummy…. These French do really know how to work around with sweet stuff ”


iii)
Hell of a morning at work, “Getting stressed like hell for nothing seems to be a hobby of these French”. Things calm down in the afternoon and my boss invites the whole team to a barbeque party at his place for next days lunch.

We leave the office next day at 12 NOON, our managers house is in middle of no where, countryside not far away from the city. We are sitting in his garden enjoying the food, listening to music and making jokes when the rest of the world is working. Lunch takes 4 hours and we go back home, NO more work for that day. “I love this French working culture, I will miss it”.


iv)
Yet another awful looking metropolitan maniac bumps into me in the metro and starts shouting at me out of the blue. “Je ne parley pas francais you bastard, shut up ”. I say to myself with boiling blood in every single vein in my body. “This city is so messed up”

I look away, my eyes finds yet another “French cutie” giving me a smile of sympathy. My blood cells starts dancing, I can feel that I am smiling back, “Oh, I want to replace all these maniacs with French cuties”.


v)
Late to wake up, running to the train yet again. Right in front of the station… BOOOM! I step on a land mine, DOG POOP. “Merde, Why cant these idiots do fashion without dogs? They have the dumbest taste when it comes to fashion.”

Later on the same day, I find my self walking in Champ Elysee, Struck with the elegance of the place. French fashion is unique, impossible to imitate, “Its admirable how the fashion can distinguish real Parisians with outsiders”


vi)
A very tiring week as usual, “Ohhhh, im tired of this Parisian life, I want to go on vacation, damn it”.

Saturday we go to Jardin du Luxembourg sits on the grass having “baguette avec fromage”, a lot of fruits and drinks, a typical Parisian picnic, a perfect way to have a relaxing weekend. “I love how French people enjoy their lives”


vii)
July 14th, the national day of France, I am going Champ du Mars for Johnny Holidays concert and fireworks while having yet another picnic. The concert begins…. “Johnny Holiday, Only “French” will understand why they like him and his music, waste of time”

Next comes fireworks, mixed with classical music. I am wordless; I am just starring at the Eiffel tower with utter amazement. For 45 mins I am filled with a wonderful feeling I can not explain. Easily one of the most beautiful events in the world. “French people do have a very rich taste,
This single event itself is worthy of going through all the pain in Parisian life 10 times over "


“Paris, Je t’aime”

2 comments:

Jean Penny said...

Really good post Rajith :)
Thx for appreciating both the good and the bad aspects of French society!
If classical music and lightworks +fireworks really move you, i very, very strongly suggest you try the "Grandes Eaux" at Versailles castle. Quite a unique experience.

Also, short comments on your short stories:
- I find it funny that you think the French get stressed all the time about nothing :) we say that about a lot of other cultures, but it's not usually seen as "something that we do". It seems to me it's all very relative. It's about how one culture compares to another on specific topics.
All in all, no single culture, no people can be called "stressed" or "laid-back" in an absolute way. It relates to where you come from, which thinking system (the "culture glasses" metaphor comes to mind) you apply.
Cheers!
Have a great day.

Jean
French alumnus

Rosana Padilla said...

It was wonderful Rajith!! Bisous